Friday, October 2, 2009

Passion in Teaching

In sixth grade, I had a wonderful art teacher. I used to think I was not very good at making things, I had a hard time creating pieces from scratch. However, when I got into my sixth grade art class, that all changed. He didn't ask me, or the other students, to come up with ideas from scratch for watercolor, clay, etc. Rather, he offered a theme or idea which allowed students, like myself, to hone in on a direction and idea. Once I had some guidance, it was much easier for me to create art that was totally of my own inspiration because I was given a more specific idea to brainstorm on.
He was very passionate about his job and through his passion, and desire to pass this passion on, he had adapted his teaching to reach all students.
I think the main thing I learned about teaching with passion from him is that it's not just about the teacher expressing their passion by what you say and do, but more about allowing students the opportunity to experience and be involved in that same passion and feel the inspiration that comes from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment